TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn | BOOK REVIEW

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

I had to mull over my feelings a bit before posting a review of this one. I will get this warning out of the way, although I don't know if it's a spoiler or not so I will tag it as such:

If you're hoping for a happy ending, then this book is not going to satisfy you.

(show spoiler)

I actually enjoyed my reading experience of Gone Girl. Unlike many a reviewer I did not guess the "big twist" in it, mostly because I wasn't expecting it to be revealed where it was and also because I kind of forgot about it. I think that's a good sign: when you're so thoroughly engrossed in a book that you've forgotten its main selling points, the author should get a pat on the back for that.

Gone Girl follows the story of a man whose wife disappears. All of the evidence points to him, but he is adamantly denying having any involvement in his disappearance. The interesting thing about this novel is that it is established very early that the dual narration is an unreliable one, and it's hard to figure out who is lying to you and who isn't.

I've said in the past that I dislike it when the narrator hides things from the reader, but I've never had a narrator flat out say he was lying before. I actually don't have an issue with that and found that I really liked that. I was really engaged in trying to figure out when Nick was lying and when he was telling the truth. That sort of inclusion really made for an all-encompassing experience.

If you're in the mood for something quite dark, and

you don't mind a not-happy-ending,

(show spoiler)

then I think that Gone Girl is for you. Certainly it's worth a read, especially as the movie is coming out soon. I do have to say that I think this will make for a fabulous film.