TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler

Review: A New Shoujo Horror!

Meisou Kuiki, Volume 1 - Yutori Honjou

I have mixed feelings...

Ever since I finished the manga series Arisa, Vol. 01, I've been itching to read some more shoujo horror. I love the concept of the sweet-looking artwork and shoujo archetypal characters with the dark undertones. For some reason, it just feels perfect to me.

"Meisou Kuiki" is certainly a shoujo horror, but it is slow going. Volume 1 has left nothing answered and so far I am much more concerned about this "onichan" than the actual murder that occurred. The pacing is off. Sometimes it moves with grace and the dialogue is a slow and beautiful reveal, and other times it's really jarring and fast and I feel like it was added in last minute.

And, you know, these kids are pretty cavalier for a bunch of high schoolers who were involved in a murder.

I think I'll continue onto the second volume and see if it picks up. Part of being in the genre of horror means there's at least a bit of action that is supposed to happen, so I'm hoping it happens soon.