TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 8 - Most Overrated Book.

Divergent - Veronica Roth The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Daughter of Smoke & Bone  - Laini Taylor

These books were two-star and three-star reads for me, but they are all massively popular.  (Ironically, the same actress is going to star in two of the movie adaptations, haha.)  I don't know, guys.  I just don't get the appeal.  I enjoyed the stories, but I didn't feel like I was holding magic in my hands or anything.

Divergent:  My main issue was with the world-building.  Most people would be divergent. The fact that it was this select few was anthropologically inaccurate.  Fast-paced and action-packed book that definitely had me turning the pages, though. 3 stars.

The Fault in Our Stars:  I called it from the beginning.  All the characters spoke the same.  They were old people locked in teenage bodies.  Great philosophical idealizations, but the characters never got to the heart of what being a "side effect" of the universe means.  Witty characters and good writing, but it felt 2D to me.  3 stars.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone:  No one told me that it was a Romeo and Juliet-esque tale.  If I had known about the insta-love (which is justified in the story, but still jarring), I might have liked it much more.  Beautiful writing, interesting plot, but overshadowed by the "epic" romance.  I wish it had focused more on the plot itself.  2 stars.

*shrugs* Obviously, I'm in the very, very small minority on these.  I'd actually recommend them to anyone who is interested because they are so popular and dearly loved.