TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
The Queen's Army (Lunar Chronicles, #1.5) - Marissa Meyer Oh my God, the Queen's army is making Worgens! I knew it. Someone call Blizzard. They can have a party over this, discuss the different attributes each version has, compare and contrast physical characteristics, get drunk into the night and then go home and dream about their faux human/faux wolf creations.

That was the first thing that came into my mind as I was reading this short story, but as it progressed I realized this story held a lot more potential than I originally thought. This is not a story recycled around a tried and failed idea - I'm not saying she copied the idea of Worgens, by the way. The Big Bad Wolf had to start somewhere. What I am saying is that Worgens were a fail in World of Warcraft. No offense to Worgen-lovers, but I hate them.- but rather a coming-of-age story that leaves you marveling at the irony and cringing at what is to come.

As a whole, I did enjoy Cinder, Meyer's novel, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed this short story. I am very much looking forward to Scarlet now. I hadn't originally planned on reading it, actually. If you were disappointed by the original novel, I recommend giving this short story a go. I wasn't disappointed, so to speak, and I do think Meyer is a good writer (obviously -- see my five star rating? ;)), but I just hadn't had the inclination to read the second novel. Now I want it. And desperately.

This short story was a fascinating read into the Big Bad Wolf's origins. For such a short story, I think Meyer did very well in eliciting understanding and compassion from the reader. I thought the idea was creative and I'm very excited to read more about the world(s) she has created.