TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
My Book of Life by Angel - Martine Leavitt Leavitt crafted a beautiful story told completely through verse. Even though this book was gritty, there were still redeeming and hope-inducing qualities to it that kept the story from descending into the route of nihilism. That's a pretty tough job considering My Book of Life by Angel is about child prostitution. This novel balanced on a tight rope, which only served to make it more impressive when this novel succeeded immensely. There were a variety of ways this book could have been crafted, the common use of shock factor being one. I am personally very relieved that Leavitt chose not to use that plot device and instead told a story about a young girl and her journey to save herself and someone else.

I believe her exploration of the protagonist's (Angel) experience created a more profound effect and created a book that never felt emotionally manipulative. One of the things I think Leavitt did really well was to make the reader feel the emotions of the character. It is so easy to be a literary sociopath, especially when you're simply being told a story. Leavitt invites her readers to join the story. She pulls the souls of her readers into her work. I ended up on a roller coaster of emotions and left feeling a little more knowledgable than when I had begun.

I highly recommend this. It's a quick read (I read it over the course of one night) and the resolution is much-needed and appreciated, leaving the reader feeling satisfied. Not only that, but each set of poetry is well crafted and interesting. I'm not a poet or an expert on poetry by any means, but I found myself drawn to her verses and mulling over some of the more difficult questions she presents.

**I would very much like to thank karen for sending me an ARC of this in the mail! She is amazing!