TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
Heads Will Roll - Lish McBride This was absolutely hilarious. Cool seems to be the perfect word to not only describe the story, but also the main character, Lena, herself. She's rebellious and believes in herself and she has such fabulous confidence, which is such a rarity in YA stories. She is a no-nonsense, direct girl and can describe herself better than I can:

I’m battle cries, death rattles, and the light touch of a swan’s feather.

Which served as a great foreshadowing for this: If your essence is as light as the feather that rests in the other balance, you go to the afterlife.

Lena is all show and little talk.

I really like McBride's writing style and I also happen to be a fan of the short story in general, so this was right up my alley. There were a few times that I found myself laughing out loud, and one of my favorite lines was: "Blood poured and splattered, but by the time it hit concrete, it was freezing into patterns, like hoarfrost on a window. It was kind of pretty." Nothing like a slightly sociopathic narrator to make you do a double take. The last bit of dialogue in this story was hilarious as well. I am very excited to read the rest of this world.

I haven't read the novel so this was my first introduction into McBride's world and I think it was a very good one. This short story is extremely short and McBride has an easy-to-read, fast writing style. I really thought that it was an excellent read. I wanted it to be longer, but at the same time appreciated the abruptness of it. You do not have to read the novel to enjoy this short story and I am proof of that. If you'd like to read it, you can find it on Tor's website