TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor Wow, I'm definitely the minority on this one!

Before I begin my review, I would just like to say that Taylor has a beautiful style of writing. Her metaphors were original and I was often very impressed with how she handled situations. I also think that she has a lot of original and amazing ideas in her head. Even though I probably won't pick up the next book in this particular trilogy, I am going to check out her faerie books.

That being said, the first half of this book centered around those amazing ideas and the execution of them. I really enjoyed meeting Brimstone and Issa and Karou's relationship with them. The secrecy, the privacy, letting the reader feel like they were in on something big -- this part was really fun and I enjoyed reading it.

It was the second half that I could have done without. As soon as Akiva entered the picture, for me, the entire story began a steady downhill climb. The insta-love was nearly unbearable for me. I understand that he loves her because she is Madrigal's reincarnation and their souls sing to each other but it ruined the fun for me! I didn't realize this story was a Romeo and Juliet-like tale and had I known that going in, I might have enjoyed it more.

So let me prepare you: This story is a Romeo and Juliet-like tale. If you're not fan of those things, this might not be the book for you. If you are a fan, then dive right in because this is right up your alley!

I had a big problem with the characters as well. They were all so perfect and unreachable that I never felt I could relate to them. I was sick of hearing how beautiful Karou, Akiva, Madrigal and even Kaz were. There was such an emphasis on beauty that I felt like I was being hit over the head with it. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but for a story that's premise relies on lovers who value each other's soul, it sure was handy to have them beautiful all the time. And not only were they beautiful, they were all perfect, especially Madrigal. It was just eye roll inducing and separated me from the story for the rest of the book.

I also didn't understand why the chimaera world valued high-human looks? For a society that bases it's core on strength and can resurrect bodies to look as they want I was shocked to see they even cared about looking human. It also didn't make sense. Their enemies , the seraphim, have a human appearance and humans, compared to chimaera, are weak. If anything, beast-like appearance should have been valued because it would have denoted strength and bravery. I felt like this was a plot device to make Madrigal more attractive to the reader and it was very disappointing.

Some characters were a lot of fun and well done, though. For example, Zuzanna and Brimstone. Karou's relationship with both of these character is interesting, humorous and exciting to read about. It's just unfortunate that they didn't get more book time.

All in all, this book wasn't for me. I can see the appeal and I understand completely how people could love this story, but I just didn't find the charm and whimsy that others seemed to have found.