TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
Ghost Planet - Sharon Lynn Fisher This story had a great premise: a planet recently cultivated and populated by humans only to be riddled with the ghosts of said humans' past. If you don't read the blurb on Goodreads (the second paragraph), then I think the twist at the beginning will be a lot of fun. I didn't read the blurb and was really shocked, but in a good way!

The beginning of this story was really strong. I would say up until 30%, this was a five star for me; up until 50%, it was a four star. This fell down to a three star around the 60% mark, I think. I felt that Murphy and Elizabeth's relationship moved too quickly throughout the whole thing. The way it started was very abrupt and shocked me, and the way it progressed kept shocking me, but it was more of a I-don't-see-how-this-is-okay kind of shocked. I was hoping for more planetary exploration before Murphy and Elizabeth got their freak on. I also didn't understand why Murphy, who created the Ghost Protocol was so eager to break it.

I didn't like the way the story progressed once our protagonists got to the rebel group led by Blake. I did like the paradox that was going on there, though, and found it absolutely plausible that the ghosts would be mimicking the colonist's mistakes. I just felt like a lot of the story began to feel jumbled and convoluted around this point. I know that sci-fi can mimic fantasy with certain fantastical phenomenon, but there was a lot that happened that just kept being chalked up to the planet. The empathic bond between Elizabeth and Murphy, the way they can heal each other, etc.: all of these things felt out of place after all the science that was used to explain detachment and the colonist and ghost relationship.

I also edited this review to add this: I think it's really important for people to start understanding that laying a hand on another person in violence is not okay. I don't care if you're a man hitting a woman, a woman hitting a man, etc. People should not hit people. There were two instances in this book when Elizabeth hit Murphy and both of those instances made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Just because she's a woman does not mean it's okay to hit a man.

*steps off soap-box*

However, there was a lot of what I did like in this book. For instance, the plot was fantastic! I was really impressed with the creativity. It is a story that will easily draw you in and keep you interested and I had an enjoyable reading experience. I also think that Fisher is a very good writer. I went to go check out any other books she had read because I liked her writing so much only to discover that this was her first book. I was amazed! I think if you're considering this book, then definitely give it a try. It was a lot of fun to read and I think it's worth it. I know that I will be checking out Ms. Fisher's future works.