TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
Wild Song - Jane Eagland I was immediately drawn to this book because it said it was for dyslexic readers. Although I don't teach dyslexic students, I do teach students whose native language isn't English. I thought that a book like this would be perfect for them considering the blurb on netgalley said it to be at a 3rd grade reading level. In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's spot on and I would recommend this to my students. I am always looking for books that they can read and so far most of the books I've given them have been a bit too difficult. It was refreshing to find something that would be challenging for them, but simplistic enough not to scare them off.

In terms of plot, I wouldn't say this was a romance. This book was more a mystery novel than anything else. I'm actually a little baffled by the synopsis on Goodreads because it doesn't ring true to the novel itself. It is certainly atmospheric, but I don't see how it is romantic. Other than the few encounters between Anna and rob (his name is spelled like this in the novel, which isn't explained - why isn't the first letter capitalized? Does anyone know?), there was no romance. There were a few scenes where Anna blushed, but considering this is recommended for ages 13+, I hardly think that blushing scenes will mean anything.

I also think it would be suitable for ages 10+, to be honest. This read more like a middle grade book in terms of plot sophistication and there was nothing in it that would make me wary of letting a younger-than-thirteen-year-old read it other than the mention of a gun. I think the concept of deception and betrayal is deeply ingrained in most cultures - and these two concepts are dealt with.

Overall, this was a fast and enjoyable read. I was so happy to read something on my students' reading level and I will be happy to recommend this to them. Eagland has an easy reading style and her sentences flowed smoothly together. I would recommend it to younger readers or those who want to read but struggle, either because of dyslexia or the like or because English isn't their first language. I hope to see more books for dyslexic readers/reluctant readers on the market.