TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
The Dead-Tossed Waves - Carrie Ryan I don't know about you, but if I were in the middle of a life-or-death battle between two differing factions that either wanted to take me hostage or kill me, boys would be the last thing on my mind.

For young Gabry, our lovely protagonist of The Dead-Tossed Waves, that logic doesn't seem to apply to her. I have to say I am very disappointed in the sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth, a book that I had very mixed feelings about, but could not ignore its subtle brilliance. Part of what made the first book so wonderful was the unreliable narrator and how batshit crazy she was. In this installment, we get the opposite: a very sane narrator who is borderline boring. It was nice to have something different, but the writing style was still one the required an unreliable narrator. Throwing someone sane into this world just felt weird.

I really could not get over how concerned and boy-crazy Gabry was throughout this entire thing. I mean, she leaves everything familiar, is on the run for her life from two opposing forces, has to live with the fact her best friend is dead, murders someone, goes into the Forest for the first time, witnesses some pretty awful stuff... and after all that she's snogging two different guys? Just... what? Girl, have you taken a good look at your life lately? I think you need to get your priorities straight and put survival at the top of your list.

The reason this book got two stars instead of one is because I think that Carrie Ryan has an absolutely beautiful style of writing. The way she molds and describes things is so poetic and so beautiful that I can sometimes forget the utter stupidity of her main character.

All in all, I would say to skip this one. I haven't read the third installment yet, but if it's anything like this (meaning you could actually read it as a stand-alone) then I would recommend just reading the first and third. I am hoping that the third one will take me back to the insanity that Ryan created in her first novel.