TheBookofJules

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Highly Sensitive Person
Elaine N. Aron
Exploring the Philosophy of Religion (7th Edition)
David Stewart
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Hutterites in North America (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology)
John Andrew Hostetler;Beulah S. Hostetler
Saga, Volume 1 - Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples Like every Freelancer I had the misfortune to eventually meet, he was a fucking MONSTER. But as my family was about to learn, some monsters are worse than others...

I think that two words can sum up how I feel about this graphic novel: HELL YES.

I know that I was saying that Morning Glories is the cat's meow, but I take it back. Don't get me wrong, MG is still magical and wonderful and I can't wait for my order of the next volumes to come in the mail, but there is just something so unique about Saga. It's in a world of its own and just cannot compare to other comics/graphic novels. There is so much creativity, ingenuity and wit put into each and every page and it's disturbing enough to be interesting without falling into the category of the grotesque. (For me, anyway. I sort of think my mom might've flipped during some scenes.) I was captivated by the story, the characters, the artwork, the world and, especially, the narrator.

No matter how we're eventually raised, all of our stories begin the exact same way. They all end the same, too.

The narrator in Saga is that fabulous little baby you can see on the cover, suckling her mom's boob. Clearly, she must grow up eventually, but it was really cool hearing the narrator's voice and seeing her as a newborn. The narration is deep and philosophical, which is very different from the weirdness and the action going on in the pages. It felt weirdly personal and intimate, like Hazel, the narrator, was sharing a deep secret with me. It made me feel like I was being let into the corners of her mind and that was a really gratifying experience to have as a reader.

This first volume was magic solidified into a graphic novel. I highly recommend it for absolutely everyone, except maybe the really squeamish.